Tuesday, March 22, 2005

MOUTH HARPING

James 3:5, 6

Lifewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.

Boy did this one hit home. My whole life I have struggled with my mouth and the stuff that flies out of it. If only there were some connector in my brain that would yell, stop!

Of course, there is such a thing in my brain. The Holy Spirit is my guide and I need to give Him control of my tongue and thoughts. For some reason, it has not occurred to me (before recently) that I can give him control over my mouth. I surely need some help in this department. Today, I said no less than three things to three different people that were completely inappropriate and rude. Thoughtless. Heartless. I feel about three inches tall after something like that. I beg to gobble those words back up. That's the worst thing. I can't take it back. It's already out there. I just prayed to God that the person I said it to wouldn't hold it against me. I asked forgiveness of the person to whom I misspoke. I plead with the Spirit to have full control over my mind and mouth. I sure hope He perfects me in love soon.

No comments: