Thursday, March 10, 2005

I'm not into bondage

Song of Songs 2:7
Daughters of Jerusalem, I charge you by the gazelles and by the does of the field: Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires.

Oh, but had I listened to these words so long ago! Many years have passed since I should have heeded those words. The Lord led me to this scripture this morning. Perhaps in the hope that I could tell some of you out there in blogland to listen. If any good can come out of my fall, I pray it will.

As a young woman I was in too big a hurry to wait. I rushed headlong into the world of sex. Before that even, when I was younger, I was always so curious about it all. I wish now that I had stuck to the things of youth. There was so much clean fun to be had. The danger of my haste was not only in the constant fear of pregnancy or STDS. The memories would haunt me for so long. They followed me into my marriage with this fisherman. Satan would not let me forget my fall.

It wasn't until a bible study called Breaking Free that I was able to get loose from the bondage of the enemy. God released me to a freedom in my thought life I hadn't known. For a woman especially, your body is so connected to your mind. I hope my sharing this part of my life will spare some of you years of guilt and suffering.

If you have already fallen, put your knees down on the floor and ask God for help. Guard your hearts in Him against the evil one. Just because you have already sinned, don't continue in it. That was my thought, "well, I'm not a virgin anymore so what does it matter?". It matters because the longer you sin, the deeper the wedge between you and God can seem. It made me feel so unworthy to communicate with Him. This was another lie I believed that kept me from making a break with sin.

If you haven't sinned, pray that God would shelter you from this temptation. Be smart about relationships with the opposite sex. Don't be alone with someone you know you shouldn't be alone with. In all things, pray. And if you feel the temptation is too great, marry before you sin (I Cor 7:2-5).

I realize this is pretty heavy, today. For some reason, my heart was burdened to share it. I know I'm no expert on this subject. Seek out a trusted pastor or counselor and remember not to go alone. I've been mindful not to be alone with any man of God. We are all tempted. In hearing of your temptation the evil one could so tempt a man of God to lead you into further sin. I say this only as a precaution. It has never been in my experience. I also mean no disrespect to any ministers.

I pray for the young girls and boys of our holy congregation to be sheltered from this sin. God have His protective hand over their bodies and minds in Christ Jesus. Holy Spirit speak to their hearts to guide them from any trouble. Parents, be open to speak with your children about their bodies and feelings. I pray this for the whole world of believers in Christ.

No comments: