Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Boob Tube

Four words....sex in the city. I have been addicted. Absolutely shameless, I know. I don't have cable. I don't subscribe to satellite. On a local station every week night, two back to back episodes are aired. It doesn't even come in all that well. I sit up and glue my eyeballs to the screen. It has been edited for content. Still, it is totally out of the realm of anything a Christian should be watching. I have felt somewhat justified because lots of women I know love this show. I recently started renting movies from an online service and I tried a season of this show for my first month's selections. The blinders came off, friends. This show is REALLY trashy. Which only titillates the senses more. I decided to openly pray about it. It isn't like God doesn't have an idea about what I'm doing. He knows. So I asked for strength in renouncing this. Guess what. I got as far as swinging my legs over the side of the bed to pad up the stairs to plop down in front of the boob tube (literally). I couldn't do it. That small, still, right voice said to me.....why do you want to watch filth? The old stand-by "hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil" continues to be true. If I want to go to the next level of intimacy with the LORD, then I have to give this garbage up. I started memorizing the 121st psalm today. Might as well replace garbage with something worthwhile.

1 comment:

fisherwife said...

So not true. The bible is divine in nature. The Holy Scriptures were written with the help of man by God's own hand. His word is still so relevant to us. Jesus was not about keeping anyone under his thumb. His approach to women was revolutionary for his time. He spoke to women. Even Samaritan women. They worked side by side to further the work of God.